Monday, August 4, 2014

Zan Zack at Tackle and Cornball at Strong Safety

There were several interesting articles about how high school athletes are transferring to gain playing time.  Turns out that big time college sports and the competition for scholarships are the driving factors.  Click the attached link. LA Times Article


The articles made me wonder what would have happened once  Brett Simonson was named the starter over Zach and Cornwall and if either of them transferred for more playing time.  I can't remember, but did those two guys stand on the sidelines for the entire season or did they play at other positions?  And if they both stayed the backup QB, does that mean we had two to the best athletes on the team not play one bit?!  If that is the case, the Temple City loss is understandable.


Like I said, I can't remember if or where they played.  But where would Zack have played?  If I had my choice Zan should have played tackle.  He was big in high school and he's massive now.  For Corndog, strong safety would have been a nice spot for him.  He also was a big boy and could have been a huge run stopper coming out of the defensive backfield.


What do you guys think?





2 comments:

  1. These are some interesting observations. I never thought about the possibility of football politics when I was in school. I don't know know that there is any proof of that but it's an interesting idea. BTW, aren't their names Zan Zak and Craig Cornwell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Z, please let me mention right off the top that the LCHS Spartan Oline had two(2) PhDs, you and Jay Muller. I doubt Temple City can make that same claim. How do you like the Spartans, now, TC Lambs!

    The L.A. Time article are not about poltics, but a more recent phenomena where start prep athletes are transfering with alarming frequency to get playing time and better compete for college scholarships. The question raised was why didn't Zan and Craig transfer when Brett was named the starter? It is all tongue-in-cheek but wouldn't that have been interesting is Cornwell transfered to CV and Zak to St. Francis. LOL! Someone should ask them that sometime. The next question was did they both merely stand on the sidelines for the entire season? I don't remember but that would have been messed up if two of our best athletes were wasted on the season.

    ReplyDelete